Tuesday, March 25, 2014

3.22.14 BATTLE OF THE BORDER

Woke up and weighed at 220.5 (though the scale only went to 0.5) so I took a hot shower, walked a quarter mile or so, and drove the 45 minutes to the meet with the heated seat and heat all the way up...scale said 220.2 so I was good to go (as I thought the 220 weight class is actually 100 kg)...I NEVER plan on cutting weight that close again, I think that may been some of the issues on bench and dead.  



Squats:  These went as planned at 200-212.5-220.  I wanted to hit a meet PR on my second attempt and then a 10 kg PR on my third. 

Bench: I started 2.5 kg lower than my original plan, this was because I was opening about 10 kg ahead on everyone in my weight class except Chris London, who was opening at 170kg so I knew I just needed to finished a solid second.  I went 152.5-160-162.5.  I originally wanted to hit 162.5 on my second and try for 167.5 on my third, but I was not really feeling awesome on bench and decided to take what was there.  

Dead: As seen on the video I was 20kg out of first going into deads and was opening 27.5 kg higher than first place guy.  Decided to just take what was there, but mainly pick attempts to go for the win.  Went 245-252.5-257.5, first two attempts were where I wanted them, I wanted 260 on my third but decided to play it safe and go for the win and a 1400+ total and not get too greedy.  The meet was going REALLY fast too, I think I had about 5-6 minutes between each deadlift attempt so I was not fully recovered, in the end going with 257.5 was a good decision because that was everything I had in the tank and probably the hardest lift of my life.  Someone said after it looked like I was either going to make the lift or pass out...I cannot tell you what all went through my head during the lift but it was something like this "Heavy, buy I got it...shit, it stopped moving...feet through the floor Keane...don't hitch...damn, this is slow...squeeze your glutes...quit shaking like a bitch...pull mother fucker...LOCK IT OUT...YES...LIGHTS? (white)...YESS!."  I could not have asked for a better situation.  It was nice to actually be competing with someone for a medal and knowing exactly where he was at and what I needed to win...a third attempt dead for a PR, 1400 total, and the win...plus being the last attempt in the flight and knowing I had 0 left in the tank that day...I could not think of a better way to end a meet.  

No comments:

Post a Comment